At Murphy Homes we use only the best materials in the homes we build. One of our favorites is PEX plumbing material for all your water supply lines. This amazing material is awesome for its ability to expand without breaking. It has significantly decreased the #1 issue older homes have with freezing temps – BUSTED PIPES! 😦
That being said there are still a few places in your home that will need special attention on those very cold nights!
- Crawl Space Vents – If you live on a crawl space home, your home will feature crawl space vents that allow your crawl space to breath in warmer months. Once temperatures get below 30 degrees, it is a good idea to close those babies up. This will allow the ground temperature to keep your crawl space warmer and keep those pipes flowing.
- Crawl Space Plumbing – In very cold temps (15 and below) it is a good idea to keep a faucet or two on a slow drip overnight to allow water to move through those pipes – this doesn’t take much – a drop a second is more than enough!
- Hose Bibs – We only use modern “Frost Resistant” Hose Bibs at Murphy Homes! However, hose bibs are still one of the most susceptible parts of your home to cold temps. We recommend removing any hoses connected to the bib and adding an insulating cover. This won’t prevent all freezes but it definitely helps The most important thing is to check the area around your hose bib after temperatures rise to make sure there are no leaks.
- Tankless Water Heater – The most efficient way to mount a tankless water heater (such as the Rinnai Water Heaters we use) is in the exterior wall of your home. This installation is awesome for our climate in North Alabama…. Except about 1 day per Winter. When that mercury starts to drop, leave one faucet dripping both hot and cold water to slowly cycle water through the water heater – again, about a drip a second is more than enough!
- Sprinkler Systems – this is a tough one…. Don’t worry about it! Murphy Homes Sprinkler systems are self draining. As long as you are not running your system all winter, there will be so little water in the lines that freezes will not exert enough pressure to break any pipes.
The rest of your Murphy Home will be worry free! Sit back and enjoy your super efficient HVAC system pumping that warm air into your incredibly well insulated home. Maybe start a fire and turn on a movie!
Either way, stay warm and enjoy your home!